birth story

It was 4 days after my due date and I had a feeling when I woke up in the morning, that something was going to happen. John and I decided to go for a walk down Bedford to see if my instincts were right and he shouldn't go into work. We ate cheese danishes and John had an iced coffee at Vittoria Cafe, while we stalled. After a while, we walked back and I told John to go to work. I laid in bed and watched TV. 

At about 4:00 pm, I was certain I was feeling pre-labor pains and started timing the contractions on my iPhone 5. I called John at work to say, "Don't rush home, but it's definitely started." I knew it was going to be a while.

He was home within the hour and drove Ava to Ninno's house. We waited. I was feeling serious contractions around 8:00 pm, so I called the doctor and told her that I wanted to stick it out at home as long as I could. So we waited. We ate dinner and then waited some more. John fell asleep. Finally, at 4:00 am, the contractions were really strong and close together, so I decided that it was time to go to the hospital. I called the doctor and said we were on our way.

We drove our new Land Rover LR4 to a silent and practically empty hospital. When they checked me for admittance, I was only 3 cm. I was so deflated. Here I thought I had made so much progress at home and they may not even admit me! My doctor insisted and I was moved into a delivery room. It was 6:00 am.

I refused an epidural and continued to suffer through two more hours of intense contractions. I thought I was being a hero. They checked my progress. 3-4 cm. I was devastated. I started to cry and panic. I thought I was being a rockstar and nothing. The doctor recommended I try Pitocin. I conceded and they started the epidural.

We waited. John fell asleep. Then, two hours later, I felt an incredible pain. At first I didn't know what it was and a nurse wasn't in the room, so I waited. Then, I felt the crazy, intense pressure again and again, so I buzzed the nurse's call button. I was jumping off the table when the nurse came in. The doctor rushed in and said immediately that it was time to push. 

8 minutes later. Stella Jane was born at NYU Medical Center on March 25th, 2014 at 12:25pm. She was 7lbs. 2oz. and 20" long.